The 34th Specialty Coffee Expo Attendance Exceeds 11,500
Image credit: SCA
The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) announced that the 34th Specialty Coffee Expo, held in Portland, Oregon (21-23 April), was attended by nearly 12,000 individuals, 574 exhibiting companies, and 200 volunteers. Exhibitors travelled from 76 countries of which 29 were coffee-producing countries to attend the annual event, North America’s largest coffee trade show. This year’s show also hosted the US Coffee Championships.
Across the three days, attendees gained hands-on practical skills and coffee knowledge during over 27 workshops and 64 lectures. 280 individuals participated in the Green Coffee Buyers and Sellers Program looking to begin long-term relationships.
The 2023 Best New Product Competition recognised six new products at the Expo in six different categories, judged on their quality and value to the specialty coffee and tea industry. The SCA awarded the following product and companies during the event:
• Coffee Accessories – Ion Beam by Acaia
• Commercial Coffee Preparation and Serving – Latte Art Factory Bar Pro by Latte Art Factory
• Consumer Coffee Preparation and Serving – The Barista Touch Impress by Breville
• Open Class – Redefined by Rarebird, Inc
• Specialty Coffee Beverage Additive – Puremade Toasted Black Sesame Syrup by Torani
• Specialty Non-Coffee Beverage Standalone – Ginger Spice Chai Concentrate by Art of Tea
The Coffee Design Awards, also awarded at Expo, recognised three companies for their ingenuity, style, and character in three categories:
• Branding – Dear Francis
• Packaging – Stereoscope
• Spaces – The Boy & The Bear
2023 US Coffee Championships
The 2023 US Coffee Championships featured six competitions across three days. The six new US Coffee Champions will represent the United States in the World Coffee Championships taking place in Athens, Greece and Taipei, Taiwan later this year:
• US Barista Champion: Isaiah Sheese, Archetype Coffee
• US Brewers Cup Champion: Wenbo Yang, Artly Coffee
• US Coffee in Good Spirits Champion: Sam Schroeder, Olympia Coffee
• US Cup Tasters Champion: Jake Donaghy, Olympia Coffee Roasting
• US Roasting Champion: Andrew Coe, Elevator Coffee
• US Latte Art Champion: Piyapat Lapteerawut, Coffee Project NY
The Specialty Coffee Expo will head to Chicago Illinois in 2024, taking place 12-14 April at McCormick Place. The SCA announced that 54% of the show floor for the 2024 Expo has already sold out.