• Connect on LinkedIn
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • RSS feed
Menu

Port NOLA Celebrates Special Tri-Centennial Maritime Month

The Port of New Orleans (Port NOLA) is celebrating its second annual Maritime Month through May and National Maritime Day on 22 May to pay tribute to the region’s rich maritime history and to recognise the hardworking men and women who serve in the industry. Declared by Congress in 1933, National Maritime Day calls attention to America’s proud maritime heritage and to honour the men and women who serve and have served as US merchant mariners.

The theme of Port NOLA’s 2018 Maritime Month is “Your Working River 300” to honour the city of New Orleans’ Tricentennial year and includes several activities to demonstrate the industry’s vital role in job creation and its connection to the community.

The month-long celebration kicked into high gear today with the New Orleans City Council presenting a proclamation to Port NOLA president and CEO Brandy D Christian recognising Maritime Month and Maritime Day.

“We have coordinated with city and state elected officials, media partners and various stakeholders to celebrate the hardworking men and women of the Port, Public Belt and maritime industry who play an important role in the success of our city, state and region,” says Christian. “Maritime Month is an opportunity for Port NOLA to connect with our community and invite them to see for themselves what we experience daily — the magic of the working river in action.”

Port NOLA also hosted students from New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School who participated in the second annual Maritime Month Career Exploration Day, an event that allows high school students to learn about the diverse career paths available in the maritime industry. Port NOLA has also partnered with WWL-TV to broadcast 15- and 30-second promotional ads throughout the month touting the benefits of “Your Working River 300” which began airing 1 May.

The Port will honour the men and women who serve in the Harbor Police Department during National Police Week 13-19 May. As part of Infrastructure Week, 14-21 May, Port NOLA will host the Southeastern Infrastructure Summit on 17 May. The event will be headlined by Louisiana gov. John Bel Edwards and New Orleans mayor-elect LaToya Cantrell who will be sworn in to office 7 May. Speakers will discuss the critical role that infrastructure plays in the regional economy, discuss the future of funding and financing major infrastructure projects, and explore ways to better connect the region.

On National Maritime Day, 22 May, Port NOLA will host WWL-TV’s Morning Show for a live broadcast from Port NOLA’s general Roy S Kelley fireboat.

On 24 May, Port NOLA’s finalised Strategic Master Plan will be released. The New Orleans Public Belt Railroad will host an Open House on 24 May. Finally, the Port will host its monthly public boat tour 25 May.

The Port of New Orleans is a deep-draft multipurpose port at the center of the world’s busiest port system — Louisiana’s Lower Mississippi River. Connected to major inland markets and Canada via 14,500 miles of waterways, six Class I railroads and the interstate highway system, Port NOLA can accommodate containers and breakbulk cargo, as well as passenger cruises. On 1 February, Port NOLA acquired the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad, a Class III switching railroad with the primary mission of serving the Port, its six Class I railroad partners and local industry.